Date:      Tue, 08 Sep 1998 14:46:50 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ed

> Ugh.  I wouldn't go so far as to say it's a favorite, but I still use
> it for quick editing tasks where you need to change one string to
> another, and in shell scripts.

Actually, I wasn't really joking, and though it's certainly true that
I use ed pretty rarely (usually when I'm in a situation where my
terminal settings or current emulator are too braindead for vi), I
still really like it for its concise-yet-powerful approach to editing.

The problem most people have with ed(1) is that they don't have enough
context to compare it to OTHER line editors, something which I
unfortunately have in spades.  Not only have I used some of the very
worst line editors on the planet, back in the days when a
cursor-addressible CRT terminal was either a luxury to be fought over
with other staff members at the timesharing facility or simply didn't
exist at all, but I've seen the productivity gains which resulted from
switching from one of those editors to ed(1).

To cite an example, back in the days when an HP2000A (access) was
still considered pretty nifty equipment to have, we had a truly
egregious line editor called, rather uninspiredly, EDITOR (AKA EDITOR
2000). I used that program for several years, and you haven't really
measured program development suckage until you've done BASIC with
EDITOR (though the previous generation of punched card weenies and
front-panel jockies had it worse, of course).  It used only absolute
line numbers (no relative expressions allowed), its "search" command
was basically like a grep which printed its results but otherwise
returned no status or made itself useful in any way but a visual aid,
you had to know *exactly* how many lines you had in the file if you
wanted to delete all of them (no symbolic constants), etc etc.  After
a few years of this, an HP2000 fanatic I knew commissioned some
Berkeley programmer, who's name most unfortunately escapes me, to
write a new editor for the HP2000 and, since that programmer was
already familiar with V6, he wrote an ed(1)-clone.  I bless his fuzzy
little soul to this day for that because it revolutionized editing
code on the 2000.  You could suddenly do operations that were bounded
by ranges of line numbers, you had a halfway sensible search-and-replace
function that worked with ranges, man - it was just an entirely new
experience.

Those who started with vi and then perhaps went on to emacs just have
no perspective on what something like ed(1) represents. :-)

- Jordan