Date:      Wed, 04 Mar 1998 15:03:42 +0100
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
To:        jak@cetlink.net (John Kelly)
Cc:        dyson@FreeBSD.ORG, chuckr@glue.umd.edu (Chuck Robey), jkh@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Donations.

>I understand that, John.  Having individual influence is not the
>point.  Having collective influence is.
>
>With a pool of $500,000 to spend, neither Jordan nor core should be
>deciding what gets funded.  Funding decisions should be controlled by
>the donors themselves, collectively.  And voting is the only way to do
>that.

>Even famous developers should be willing to compromise
>on their rate to obtain the best work that can be had.

Remember that what might make this "the best work that can be had"
might largely be the freedom to not have your goals set for you.

There are a lot of things in FreeBSD that you wouldn't be able to
make me touch with a long stick, even for insane amounts of money.

I would prefer that it works this way:

1. People express their wishes and desires on the mailing lists
   as usual.  It doesn't make a difference if people donate or not.

2. If somebody wants something badly, and wants to pay for it,
   he hires some people to do it for him.

3. People donate insane amount of money because the think FreeBSD
   is a good thing.

4. The core-team decides how to use the donations, based on the
   current situation, into which of course the input from 1.
   factors as always.

5. If people don't like what the core team decides, goto #1, skip #3.

"Drink MONO-tonic, it goes down but it will NEVER come back up!"