Date:      30 Jun 1996 16:37:01 GMT
From:      peter@spinner.DIALix.COM (Peter Wemm)
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Has anyone noticed a problem with rshd in -current?

In article <Pine.NEB.3.92.960626093637.8597E-100000@zap.io.org>,
	taob@io.org (Brian Tao) writes:
> On Mon, 24 Jun 1996, Lyndon Nerenberg VE7TCP wrote:
>>
>> If so, this is a symptom of a long-standing bug (since 2.1-RELEASE at
>> the very least) related to reuse of addr/port pairs that I haven't
>> been able to track down. (And lots of other people have seen.)
>
>     I've been seeing it since my first FreeBSD installation, just
> after 2.0 was released.  I've personally only seen it happen with
> rlogin only, and Jordan reports a similar or identical problem with
> rsh.  I've *never* seen it happen with any other inetd service.  On
> top of that, rlogins from our Livingston PM-2e termservers to our
> FreeBSD servers have never failed either.

I tried to get a tcpdump of this happening to me one time, but what I saw
didn't make sense (to me :-).  For me though, it was with ssh, and I
dont remember the exact sequence of events, but I think one end was
in "ESTABLISHED", and the other end sitting in SYN_SENT, and it looked
like each SYN that was being sent was being ACK'ed by the remote end, keeping
it alive.

The Stevens' books, tcp/ip Illustrated (vol 2 I think) say something about
an ``unfortunate'' feature of the 4.4BSD code, and give examples of how the
code fails under some situations.  I'll try and find it, and now that I
have the books, I'll look at the tcpdump outhput again...