Date:      Thu, 15 Jan 1998 19:04:10 -0500 (EST)
From:      Tim Vanderhoek <ac199@hwcn.org>
To:        Nathan Dorfman <nathan@rtfm.net>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Upgrading Ports

On Thu, 15 Jan 1998, Nathan Dorfman wrote:

> Is pkg_deleting a port and then reinstalling it the best/only way
> to upgrade a port when the software involved has gone up a version?

"best".  Files from an old version may potentially become
unnecessary.

> If so, maybe the packing list should mark some files as ``hard'' that
> should stay after a pkg_delete, perhaps if a ``keep hard'' flag has
> been given. For ports that install stuff that should stay across an
> upgrade.

Can you name an example of something that should stay across an
upgrade?  Potentially important configuration files should
already be left alone, I believe.

Taking the opposite (but equivalent) of your idea, marking
certain files (or types of files, such as ~/.pkgname for every
user) as "to be deleted on a `hard' delete" is, I believe, a
twisting ugly road that will run over people's feet.  If I
pkg_delete perl5, should all the perl5 scripts I've written be
found and deleted?

--
 tIM...HOEk
OPTIMIZATION: the process of using many one-letter variables names