Date:      Tue, 3 Oct 2000 12:49:44 -0700 (MST)
From:      FreeBSD <freebsd@XtremeDev.com>
To:        "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@ipamzlx.physik.uni-mainz.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HELP! Mouse Problem on FBSD 4.1.1 and XFree86-4.0.1_1

I got the same error. After a few recompiles of XFree86 4.0.1_1 and still
no mouse, (something about ioctl and inappropriate device in
/var/log/XFree86.0.log), I only got it to work after setting the mouse
protocol to auto instead of ps/2.

/etc/X11/XF86Config:
Option "Protocol"   "auto"

I think it has to do with the recent commits with patch-k to fix a
switching between virtual term and X11 problem. I can't verify right now
due to time constraints.

My hardware is a Logitech Marble PS/2 running FreeBSD 4.1.1 and XFree84
4.0.1_1 with /dev/psm0. Hopefully what I suggested will fix your problem
as well, since your symptoms matches mine exactly.