Date:      Sun, 3 Dec 95 19:48 WET
From:      uhclem%nemesis@fw.ast.com (Frank Durda IV)
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: No Thumbs???

While we are talking about power supplies, always avoid buying computers
with the EPA Energy Star (US Markets mainly) if you plan to run any
UNIX-like operating system on the machine.  Units with the Energy Star
mark have a very small power supply, plus must have the ability to go into
a low-power state when the system is idle, this reducing power consumption
to less than 30 watts.  The "on" power for these systems is usually below
70 watts, so there isn't much to work with.  Expansion is something the
vendors assume you will not do.

You can easily blow 70 watts if you have a lot of cards, lots of RAM,
many serial I/O ports, perhaps a tape or CD-ROM drive and big disks.

Plus the drives these systems come with are usually configured to spin
down after 20 or 30 seconds of inactivity, which is pretty goofy for
systems running "update"...

Some of these power supplies are installed in such a way that they
can't be replaced with a larger supply, so putting a bigger supply in
may not be an option.

These Energy Star power supplies are showing up in mid and mini-tower
configurations, not just the low-profile pizza-box PCs and are mainly
in brand name computers.  Just beware.

Frank Durda IV <uhclem@nemesis.lonestar.org>|"The Knights who say "LETNi"
or uhclem%nemesis@fw.ast.com (Fastest Route)| demand...  A SEGMENT REGISTER!!!"
...letni!rwsys!nemesis!uhclem               |"A what?"
...decvax!fw.ast.com!nemesis!uhclem         |"LETNi! LETNi! LETNi!"  - 1983