Date:      Fri, 26 Jan 1996 22:23:41 -0600
From:      "Daniel M. Eischen" <deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org>
To:        chx0@mail.opensol.com.ar, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bpf: device not configured

>I want to trace tcp packets, when attempting to use "tcpdump -i ep0" I
>get the message "/dev/bpf0: Device not configured":
>
>crw-r--r--  1 root  wheel   23,   0 Dec 16 15:20 /dev/bpf0
>
>Before sinking my head into TFM, can anybody provide a shortcut ?

Add

pseudo-device   bpfilter        4       #Berkeley packet filter

to your kernel configuration and rebuild.  The "4" is the number
of active programs using BPF that you can have running at the same
time.  You can raise this if you want.

Look in /usr/src/sys/i386/LINT and bpf(4) for more info.

Dan Eischen
deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org