Date:      Fri, 30 Aug 1996 18:54:08 -0500
From:      rkw@dataplex.net (Richard Wackerbarth)
To:        Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD talking to Apple Mac?

>This might be stupid but:

Not stupid, but more appropriate for "questions" than "hackers".

>I got hold of an ol' Apple Mac Plus. Pretty ancient stuff, that does
>not allow for a ethernet connection.

Well, then again, perhaps it is "stupid" (unless you are part of the
British Museum" :-)

> Sofar I did not have much luck bringing up PPP on the Mac side.

That is the only approach. Which Mac driver are you using for PPP?

Set things up with a serial connection and a null modem. I've done it w/o
trouble on slightly faster (MacII) machines.

>I know there is something like CAP(?) that can run on Unix machines. But
>I suppose it requires ethernet.

Correct. (And the same applies to Netatalk)

>What I'd like to have is something like Appletalk (or is it
>called Localtalk in this case?) that I can hookup to a serial port of
>my FBSD box.

That would be "localtalk". Appletalk is the Packet protocol Suite.
Localtalk is the hardware level protocol.

>Anybody any idea if this is feasible or not? Or just plain bogus?
In theory, it "could" be done by getting in there and reimplementing
Apple's driver for the serial chip. However, I would never attempt that.
They play a number of tricks on the hardware to do the collision mechanism.

That is really important only when you have a multipoint connection like
Localtalk or Ethernet. Stick with the single point connection for which the
serial drivers were designed.

Send particulars about your progress with PPP. I'll try to help.

Step #1) Connect the hardware. Verify it with a comm program like Zterm.
You should be able to log into the FreeBSD Shell account.

Step #2) Configure the PPP stuff without authentication. Looking at the
logs and screen output of the progress can be very helpful.

Step #3) Add any authentication that you think appropriate.