Date:      Sun, 22 Feb 1998 12:05:08 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        nate@mt.sri.com (Nate Williams)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, nate@mt.sri.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: More breakage in -current as a result of header frobbing.

> Sure there is.  Society and human nature.  Human beings simply cannot be
> forced to 'Do the Right Thing'.  There is no way to force 'right
> behavior' automaticaly.  Human behavior can only be modified if the
> person desires to change, and that desire to change cannot be 'forced'
> by any automatic tool.

The laws of physics are an automatic tool, and "right behaviour", by
definition, is "in accordance with the laws of physics".

There's all sorts of nice feedback loops which enforce this, the
most severe of which is "you die if you do not act in accord".

You can pretend gravity does not exist on a cliff face.  But you can
only pretend once.

> Your 'global' lock does *NOTHING* (!!!!!!!!!) to make the tree any more
> buildable when in fact it is my poor coding skills/testing behavior that
> breaks the tree.  The commit I did was a bad commit, and locking the
> tree and then unlocking the tree after I finished commit doesn't
> magically make it a good commit.

No.  But it makes it obvious that it was *you* that did it.  And if
you do it consistently, you *should* lose your priviledges that allow
you to do it.

This is called a feedback loop.

> Sometimes your absolute silliness appears to be a lack of intelligence
> at times.

I think you don't understand the concept of environmental enforcement
of desirable behaviour.  FreeBSD is free to choose whatever environment
it wants, within the scope of physical laws.  Including an environment
that punishes tree breakage, if it's smart enough to do so.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.