Date:      Thu, 25 Apr 1996 11:27:09 -0500
From:      Jim Lowe <james@miller.cs.uwm.edu>
To:        jonas@mcs.com, multimedia@freebsd.org
Cc:        jonas@mcs.net
Subject:   Re:  Leased lines, etc

> From: "Lars Jonas Olsson" <jonas@mcs.com>
>
>  I'm trying to figure out what network access to use for internet
> access for the company I work for (AccuMed Intl.). My current
> idea is to get a 56kbps or 64kbps leased line.

I would avoid either of these -- just because they are too slow.

>  What is needed for being able to use this for speach and
> video-conferencing? Does the ISP have to be on mbone?

It depends on what type of conferencing you want to do.  Typically
a min of 128kbps (or 1 ISDN line) is required for point to point
video conferencing.  If you want to do Internet and Mbone type
conferencing, then a T1 is really the min.

ADSL or a simular technology would be ideal for Internet
and Mbone combination link.  What I would look into is finding
out what ISPs are wired to the same telephone switching office
(usually called the central office) as you.  In downtown Chicago,
there should be an ISP in the same central office as you.

Then call Ameritech and find out how much a ``dry circuit'' between
you and one of these ISPs costs and how many K-ft the circuit is
(finding someone inside of Ameritech that knows what a dry circuit
is may take a little while).  I would then contact PairGain
(http://www.pairgain.com) and figure out what the best modem
combination would be for you.

You should be able to set up, at a min, a 384kbps connection between
you and your ISP for minimal cost

	-Jim