Date:      Tue, 09 Nov 1999 22:14:10 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@HiWAAY.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   easy VPN solution?

At work we are in need of a simple idiot proof secure (legal too) tunnel
between one office and a distant office. For unknown reasons the distant
office is terrified of the notion they might have to use something other
than AOL. They are also too far away for me to casually jump in a plane
to push the reset button. And anything more than a one-button push is
more than anybody should attempt to talk them thru. As for me, I'm
terrified such a computer with company sensitive information is allowed
to freely roam the internet in the first place.

An initial Good Idea was to put another Ascend Pipeline 50 in our
network, in the remote office. Then to upgrade the VPN encryption
within the Pipeline. Not a bad idea but 1) would have to add ISDN to
the remote office in pricey BellSouth/Florida, and 2) AOL doesn't do
ISDN.

Would be best if any non-Ascend Pipeline VPN solution would be able to
connect to the Pipeline 50 in my office via the internet. What does it
take to establish a VPN to an Ascend Pipeline using FreeBSD? I don't
really have the time over the coming year to monitor this proposed
firewall/gateway/VPN, but if I knew how to establish a VPN with the
Ascend hardware, I'd give it a go. Then when (positive thinking) that
works out would have to be square with RSA and whoever on the
encryption patents.

Am collecting more data on the GNATbox firewall. Not sure about
encrypted VPN capabilities.

Am also looking at Whistle's latest. Not sure about encryption but
apparently IBM is bundling hardware, network connection, and support,
at interesting prices.

Netsurfing found http://www.sonicwall.com/. Bottom of the line is about
$400 but then another $400 or more for VPN?

UMAX http://www.umax.com/networking/standard/ has some interesting stuff
but doesn't offer encrypted VPN. Same for
http://www.macsensetech.com/Product/index.html

I understand client software under Windows can establish a VPN tunnel to
the Ascend VPN hardware. Don't know exactly what software package is
needed. Or if it comes with WinNT, which is on (both of) the remote
computers. *BUT* hopefully I've established a calibration of this remote
site and you have already dismissed that option after a session of
ROTFL. Am suspicious the only way this remote office survived a meltdown
from viruses and internet was their use of an old version of WordPerfect
and Windows 3.1.

A firewall capable of killing Active-X would be a plus. Its not as
simple as blocking a port, is it?

So, the question boils down to essentially: I need a cheap/free no
maintenence router/firewall/gatway/NAT/VPN that is idiot proof and can
tunnel over AOL. Know of any? Otherwise enjoy a chuckle as the real
world constantly amazes me.