Date:      Wed, 19 Mar 1997 21:17:38 -0600
From:      Allen Hyer <allenh@wtrt.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   SMC Etherpower 10/100

Hello,
  I have a 2.1.6-Release box, and recently installed an SMC Etherpower
10/100.  The card is old, at least a year or two, so it doesn't have the
"newer" chipset.  The card is connected to a 10/100mbs ethernet switch.
When FreeBSD comes up, it "enables" the 10BaseT port, instead of the 100mbs
port.  Is there a way to get FreeBSD to force it to 100mbs instead of 10?
I have verified that the port on the switch does 100mbs, by connecting
other equipment to that port.  But I haven't figured out how to tell
FreeBSD to use it in the 100mbs mode.

Thanks,
Allen Hyer           "Don't be too proud of this technological
System Administrator     terror you've constructed."
West Texas Rural Telephone      -DV