Date:      Thu, 25 Apr 1996 13:30:00 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Stephen F. Combs" <combssf@salem.ge.com>
Cc:        "Paul T. Root" <ptroot@uswest.com>, Terry Woods <twoods@ccgate.sos.state.il.us>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Net connected printer

I have to agree,  We've got over a hundred JetDirect equiped HP Laserjets
which ALL have IP addresses and are used all the time with lpr/lpd.  In
fact our VMS access to these printers is via lpr/lpd (TGV Multinet).  We
even (with a FreeBSD box in-between, 'cuz of IBM's decision to send the
data file BEFORE sending the control file) use them to print from a series
of IBM mainframes scattered all over the world!

We also use Castille Lanpress boxes for printers which won't/don't accept
a JetDirect (Genecom,etc line-printers).

----
Stephen F. Combs                 Internet:	CombsSF@Salem.GE.COM
GE DS&TC		 	 Voice:		540.387.8828
Network Services		 Home:		CombsSF-Home@Salem.GE.COM
1501 Roanoke Blvd                FAX:		540.387.7106
Salem, VA  24153                 LapTop:	CombsSF-Mobile@Salem.GE.COM