Date:      Tue, 1 Aug 2000 21:39:45 +0200 (MEST)
From:      dystopia@gmx.net
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   X: no icons or text

Not sure if this is the correct place to ask since im quite new to this
world so please correct me if this is the wrong place to ask. When I start
X I
dont have any icons or text. I dont know how this can be fixed but im
quite
sure X has been configured good. I hate this problem and ive been dealing
it
for a while now. The error I get is: pid could not get read. I tried
several other window managers including twm gnome and kde. None worked, so
I came
to the conclusion that it isn't a windowmager-specific problem. I searched
on usenet and found that I needed to replace ~/.xinitrc with
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/xinitrc and edit it which had abosuletely no
succes. I think it has
todo with libraries and so the libjpeg libraries are not correcly linked.
Can somebody clear my clouds please, im totally out of ideas atm. TIA.

Forgot to add that I use a Riva TNT2 and that this doc didnt worked:
http://www.freebsdzine.org/attic/199907/tnt.txt anybody have tips I really
appreciate it. The links on that doc (the fetch ones) don't work while the
doc isn't that old. I only found Linux binaries and no FreeBSD binaries.