Date:      Thu, 20 Jan 2005 12:15:10 +0000
From:      Gavin Atkinson <gavin.atkinson@ury.york.ac.uk>
To:        Bartosz Fabianowski <freebsd@chillt.de>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Persisting troubles with periodic stalls every few minutes

On Thu, 2005-01-20 at 02:36 +0100, Bartosz Fabianowski wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I have been having a lot of trouble with performance on my laptop, which
> I first set up with 5.3-RELEASE and constantly keep up to date with
> 5.3-STABLE. The box runs stable, but periodically, somewhere between
> every few minutes down to every few seconds, it stalls for 5 seconds. By
> that I mean that the screen is not being refreshed and all keyboard
> strokes go into some kind of buffer to get processed when the stall is
> over. Some key strokes also get lost or reversed in order, which makes
> this even more annoying.
>
> The trouble is that I cannot figure out how to find the responsible
> process. Tools such as top(1) update in one second intervals at best and
> as there are no screen updates during the stall, so they produce nothing
> useful. The only tool that gave me some kind of information was
> systat(1). When I invoke "systat -vmstat 1", I see the following:

Try running top with the -q option, and/or pressing space (which causes
top to try and refresh immediately).  If you still can't get any screen
updates to happen during the freeze, try
	top -qbSs 1 -d max > /var/tmp/somefile

And look through the file to see if you can establish what was actually
happening at the time of the freeze.

Gavin