Date:      Wed, 2 Jan 2002 16:54:35 -0500
From:      Jud <Jud@operamail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, Walt Pawley <walt@wump.org>
Subject:   RE: replacing the Boot Manager

>===== Original Message From Walt Pawley <walt@wump.org> =====
>Having a working system I'd rather not destroy and not being smart enough
>to know what's going on in detail, I'd like to know whether one can replace
>(or reconfigure) the Boot Manager on a driver without affecting that
>drive's other contents. All the references I can find only describe things
>from the point of view of starting out.
>
>Specifically, I foolishly put a Boot Manager on the drive and now I'd
>rather not have it interfering with the computer booting automatically.

Yes.  First back up onto some other medium (tape, zip drive, another disk) any
data you're not willing to lose.  Now - are you wanting to just boot FreeBSD,
or does it share your computer with another OS?  If you want to
reconfigure/delete the FreeBSD boot manager, /stand/sysinstall will get you
all the options you originally set when you installed FreeBSD.  If you just
want the Windows boot loader, type fdisk /mbr after booting into DOS using a
floppy disk.

The nicest boot manager I've found is GRUB, which is in the FreeBSD ports
collection under sysutils.  Even including a careful review of the
documentation, installing it and setting it up the way I liked was a matter of
15-20 minutes' time.  You can configure it to "not interfere with the computer
booting automatically" as default behavior, but to let you easily do something
else (for example, boot another partition/OS) if/when you'd like.

Jud