Date:      Wed, 21 Sep 2011 18:01:12 +0200
From:      Ivan Voras <ivoras@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: UFS journal size

--------------enig3E5C372DD1D5895B50C7BD42

On 21/09/2011 11:48, Ross wrote:
> Quoting the manpage:
>=20
>          -s jsize  Specifies size of the journal if only one provider i=
>                        used for both data and journal.  The default is =
one
>                        gigabyte.  Size should be chosen based on provid=
er's
>                        load, and not on its size; recommended minimum i=
s twice
>                        the size of the physical memory installed.  It i=
s not
>                        recommended to use gjournal for small file syste=
ms
>                        (e.g.: only few gigabytes big).
>=20
> My question is: if I have 4 or 8 GB of RAM should I create 8 or even
> 16 GB journals?.. This seems huge especially if the fs size without
> journal is only 10 gigs. Or the recommended minimum is for systems low
> on RAM?

You are probably missing that gjournal does full data journaling, not
just metadata as is more common with other systems, so you need a
journal which can hold *at least* everything you can hold in RAM, and
then twice as much since one half may be replaying while other is being
filled up. Even this is an estimate since it's heavily load-dependant.

Or you can wait for 9.0 with metadata journaling.