Date:      Fri, 8 Dec 1995 18:05:06 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        truesdel@nas.nasa.gov
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Hint's needed for debugging a SCSI CDROM changer problem.

> I've been attempting to get a SCSI CDROM changer working FreeBSD 2.1(-stable).
> The device a Mountain "CD7" (aka. NRC MBR-7).  I can mount and access the first
> four CDROM's without any problems.  However, when I attempt to mount the 5th
> CDROM I soon get either (what appears to be) a hung SCSI bus, or I get "Fatal
> trap 12"'s in random parts of the kernel.  (Two crashes I've saved had the
> faults occur in both the isofs and vm code.)

On a hunch: can you disable tagged command queueing and/or SCSI detach
for the device?

Perhaps the problem is that an outstanding operation from the previous
disk is hanging out there.

Also try accessing one disk, then another, then waiting for 30 seconds to
a minute.  Repeat a couple of times.

In any case, the disabling of async command completion might fix it for
you.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---