Date:      Fri, 19 Jun 1998 01:00:54 -0300 (EST)
From:      Joao Carlos Mendes Luis <jonny@jonny.eng.br>
To:        ken@plutotech.com (Kenneth D. Merry)
Cc:        jonny@jonny.eng.br, ken@plutotech.com, ckempf@enigami.com, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Rolling CAM in, what is still needed?

#define quoting(Kenneth D. Merry)
// Joao Carlos Mendes Luis wrote...
// > #define quoting(Kenneth D. Merry)
// > // 	One other area that could use some work/help is userland
// > // application porting.  So far, we have:
// >
// > Isn't it possible to do a compatibility layer in CAM ?  Changes in
// > API are always a PITA.
//
// 	Yeah, in fact I even had a SCIOCCOMMAND implementation for the
// passthrough driver early on.  I would much rather, however, move
// applications over to the new API.  It isn't that hard to use.
//
// 	I know that changes in API can be a PITA, I had to port a very
// large application from the old scsireq/SCIOCCOMMAND system to the new
// passthrough driver.  We can't keep old API's around forever for no
// particular reason, so I'd rather go ahead and port things.

Sorry for my ignorance, but is this interface FreeBSD only ?

If it's somewhat generic (say, *BSD), I'd prefer to have both,
and have immediate portability for "future" applications.
Is there a big advantage on the new scheme ?

At least, while CAM is in transition mode, being available only
as patches, the compatibilty API would make easy to choose cam
or not-cam during boot time (for those interfaces available in
both modes, of course).  I hope that's what you said above.

As always, JMHO, and not being an involved programmer, my vote
is not much here.  :)

					Jonny

--
Joao Carlos Mendes Luis            M.Sc. Student
jonny@jonny.eng.br                 Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro