Date:      Thu, 17 Jun 1999 10:18:05 +0200
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@scc.nl>
To:        Gerald Pfeifer <pfeifer@dbai.tuwien.ac.at>
Cc:        Soren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>, emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [emulation] Bug in linux fcntl syscall?

Gerald Pfeifer wrote:

> On Sat, 12 Jun 1999, Marcel Moolenaar wrote:
> > The patches are attached as a single file. All three patches are for
> > -current. I also got patches for enhancement (3) for 3.2 and 2.2.8
> > releases on my page (http://www.scc.nl/~marcel/)
>
> In general, in which direction is Linux emulation headed?

Ahead, of course :-)
But seriously, what do you mean exactly?

> We had problems in 2.2.x when Linux emulation was out-of-date and for
> sites like mine (with constant presure to move to Linux) having rock
> solid FreeBSD-RELEASE with most advanced Linux emulation (only in
> -CURRENT?) is strongly desirable?
>
> How can I/we solve this dilemma? Or are you planing to backport most
> of the changes in -CURRENT to -RELEASE as well?

The 3 changes in the patchfile can easily be backported. I don't think any
patches should be applied to the 2.2.x branch. I don't mind storing those
patches on my site so anyone who is still using 2.2.8 can easily apply them
(if applicable :-)

Currently, Linux emulation is identical for -stable and -current (as far as
I can see it). I can't remember any major changes in -current. If a change
is generally "good" then it shall probably also be applied to -stable as
well (if at all possible, of course).

The best thing you can do is to track -stable. That way you'll get the best
of emulation and stability.

As for the linux-base and linux-devel ports. I'd like to follow the RH
releases with a couple of weeks/months between the RH release and the ports
update.

--
Marcel Moolenaar                                  mailto:marcel@scc.nl
SCC Internetworking & Databases                     http://www.scc.nl/