Date:      Sat, 6 Apr 1996 09:40:43 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@sri.MT.net>
To:        paul@netcraft.co.uk
Cc:        freebsd-current@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sup/cvs tags

Paul Richards writes:

> > In the future can we try and avoid tagging the kernel source tree
> > except at release time?  The wollman_polling tag is causing anyone
> > who sups the cvs files to receive every file in /usr/src/sys just
> > because of the new tag.  This looks to be about 33 megabytes of data,
> > which is quite painful over a slow link.
>
> I agree. The  FreeBSD cvs tree isn't for personal development and I'm
> a bit miffed that Garret has been allowed to get away with putting in
> a personal tag.

I disagree.  I think we don't use the full capabilities of CVS, and just
because it might be painful for folks on slow links (and *NO* one has a
slower link than me, so don't even try to argue that point), the
benefits of being able to see the new code and possibility of getting
newer code in the tree far outweighs the costs of increased transmission
times.  If it means we all switch to CTM (ugh, no offense Poul) then so
be it.

I'd *LOVE* to be able to apply the PC-CARD patches to a branch so that
folks could get at them, and I could merge them into -current and
-stable *AND* still allow folks to use them.  As it stands now, they are
dependant on me making a new (external) patch-set everytime I make
significant changes to the code, which is a lot of work for me and a lot
of work for them.

With a branch on the tree much of this work would go away.

Nate