Date:      Mon, 25 Mar 2002 02:04:17 +1100 (EST)
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        John Hanley <jh_@yahoo.com>, Willie Viljoen <will@laserfence.net>, <freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG>, <re@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Soft update instability with heavy IO and offboard IDE controller

On Sat, 23 Mar 2002, Robert Watson wrote:

> On Sat, 23 Mar 2002, John Hanley wrote:
>
> > > turn off write caching at boot time in
> > > /boot/loader.conf by adding the line hw.ata.wc=0
> >
> > Surely a default install should result in write caching disabled, right?
> > Since any new filesystems will default to using soft update.
>
> We turned it off by default in 4.4-RELEASE, I believe, and got utterly
> pounded in the benchmarks, magazine reviews, etc, and turned it back on
> for later RELENG_4 releases.  On 5.0-CURRENT, it's off again by default
> due to the assumptions concerning background fsck, which is on by default.
> At some point, we need to have that whole discussion again.  Basically,

Nah, it goes on and off from time to time without even its maintainer
knowing how :-).

	RCS file: /home/ncvs/src/sys/dev/ata/ata-disk.c,v
	Working file: ata-disk.c
	head: 1.128
		PRE_NEWBUS: 1.6
	keyword substitution: kv
	total revisions: 148;	selected revisions: 148
	revision 1.125
	date: 2002/03/05 09:24:19;  author: sos;  state: Exp;  lines: +1 -1
	Misc little cleanups:

	Link if only ATAPI device in kernel config
	Remove unused #includes
	Rearrange a bit in ata-raid to make diff against -stable smaller
	Enable wc as default again, dunne how this happend...