Date:      Wed, 3 Jan 2001 10:19:29 -0600
From:      Christopher Farley <chris@northernbrewer.com>
To:        Ernst de Haan <ernst@jollem.com>
Subject:   Re: Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key

Ernst de Haan (ernst@jollem.com) wrote:

> What's a MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key, and why do I have an invalid one? I guess
> this has something to do with PAM ?
>
> Any pointers to documentation would be greatly appreciated.

man Xsecurity will give you information on the XFree86 security model.

In short, there is an .Xauthority file in your home directory which
contains a plain text cookie which authenticates X clients to the X
server.

You could set root's XAUTHORITY environment variable to point to the
.Xauthority file in your home directory. It has also been suggested that
you ssh -l root localhost to run X apps (if you permit root logins like
that), as it will do X11 forwarding.

--
Christopher Farley
Northern Brewer / 1150 Grand Avenue / St. Paul, MN 55105