Date:      Tue, 9 Nov 1999 22:43:17 -0600
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        Matt Behrens <mbehrens@globaldsl.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Getting ARP replies on a connected network w/o having IP configured?

In the last episode (Nov 09), Matt Behrens said:
> I have a laptop that frequently moves from network to network and I'd
> like it to intelligently configure itself based on MAC addresses of
> other hosts it sees on the local LAN segment; essentially
> "fingerprinting" the LAN it's on.

So you'll have it assign itself a (hopefully predetermined) IP based on
the MAC addresses it sees?  Interesting idea.

> Obviously this gets done as root. :-)  Is there some function that I
> can use, or maybe some shell command?  (Just executing "arp -a" with
> an unconfigured interface either returns nothing or hangs.)

Try the tcpdump command.  You don't even need to listen for arps; all
ethernet packets have a MAC address.  "tcpdump -e -n -c 10" will dump
10 packets with ethernet headers, in a nice easy-to-parse format.

If you want to write something in C, you can directly use the packet
capture library.  Man pcap for the details.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com