Date:      Wed, 07 May 1997 20:43:24 +0300
From:      Ruslan Shevchenko <rssh@cki.ipri.kiev.ua>
To:        Thomas David Rivers <ponds!rivers@dg-rtp.dg.com>
Cc:        adrian@obiwan.psinet.net.au, rssh@cki.ipri.kiev.ua, avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, thorpej@nas.nasa.gov
Subject:   Re: Antispam sendmail.cf modifications..

Thomas David Rivers wrote:

> > >   Thay must be extensability.
> > > >

> > > In principle, GUI tools is not such bad, it can be usefull.
> >
> > GUI tools are good for most things, except for very low-level stuff or
> > doing evil tweaky things to configurations. :)
>
>  Let me add something else to the list of where not to use a GUI:
>     Multiple/repetitive items  (e.g. adding 500 freshmen accounts to
>   several systems.)

   GUI config without programm interface to config (in our case it is
text files, which we can s/../ / and so on) is bad.

   But in sheme GUI->TextFile all is normal.

> > However, I like GUIs because it makes the *end user* feel more comfortable
> > configuring something. Sysadmins and clued people of a similar nature are
> > the edit-config-file-type, however I thought FreeBSD was also aimed at the
> > average joe running Windows :)
>
>    We have tended toward that direction a little more recently; but my
>  understand had been that we would accomodate the Windowsphile when possible
>  but not, in general.

 Of course, GUI a little save time for sysadmin
  (do not think what file patch)

 In principal, the most correct way is some in style
 central GUI -> TextFiles -> cfengine (or make)