Date:      Sat, 25 Oct 1997 21:48:57 +0000
From:      =?iso-8859-1?Q?=DEor=F0ur?= Ivarsson <totii@est.is>
To:        John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Parity Ram

John Fieber wrote:

> On Sat, 25 Oct 1997, Jamil J. Weatherbee wrote:
>
> > Can someone fill me in on when you would want to use parity ram as opposed
> > to non-parity ram these days?
>
> So when your memory fails, you know it was a memory failure
> rather than an irreproducable software bug.  Also, with
> appropriate BIOS support, you can get not only error detection,
> but some error correction capability.
>
> My question is why would anybody want to use non-parity ram?
>
> -john

lot of memory without parity has been sold in low-end computers to cut
the price
but when you have to work on fix of broken computer it can take long
time if you are
not going to 'Just replace all the simms'. Very often you will have to
run the computer
hour after hour to find the broken one if you have parity-less memory.

Thordur Ivarsson