Date:      Fri, 25 Sep 1998 20:08:42 +0100 (BST)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
To:        "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG, gibbs@pluto.plutotech.com, imp@pluto.plutotech.com
Subject:   Re: installing bootblocks...

On Fri, 25 Sep 1998, Kenneth D. Merry wrote:

> Doug Rabson wrote...
> > On Thu, 24 Sep 1998, Kenneth D. Merry wrote:
> >
> > > initializing machine state
> > > setting affinity to the primary CPU
> > > jumping to bootstrap code
> > >

> > > And it just hangs there.  Anyone have an idea of what I'm doing wrong?
> >
> > It seems to be hanging in boot1 somewhere.  Could you try instrumenting
> > boot1 by inserting a few puts() statements into it.  Be gentle with it -
> > it has to fit in 7.5k and printf puts it over the limit.  My best trick
> > for debugging it was to scatter calls to halt() around the code and see
> > how far it got before it halted.
> >
> > If it works right, it should just twiddle() a few times while it loads the
> > second stage then jump to it.
>
> Well, I think I figured out the problem.
>
> The first stage boot loader was hanging when it tried to load the second
> stage boot blocks.  I'm pretty sure this is because the disk was
> partitioned and newfsed under Digital Unix.
>
> I was able to switch two of the partitions over to a FreeBSD filesystem (by
> moving their contents elsewhere and then newfsing them and then moving them
> back), but I wasn't able to get the root partition moved over.
>
> When I tried (don't ask), I ended up hosing the root partition.  So, I'm
> more or less back to square one here, unfortunately.
>
> So, to make a long story short, I probably need to do one of two things:
>
> - figure out how to boot the machine with an NFS mounted root partition.  I
>   can netboot it now under FreeBSD, but the kernel panics because (I
>   assume) there isn't anything on the root partition.  If I can boot it
>   with an NFS root, I can newfs the partitions under FreeBSD and get all
>   the right binaries on the disk.
>
> - or, figure out how to switch the root partition from a Digital Unix
>   format to a FreeBSD format.  Before, I tried something like this from
>   single user mode:
>
> 	- mount /dev/da1h /
> 	  "specified partition doesn't match mounted partition"
> 	- chroot /path/to/copy/of/root
> 	  newfs da1a
>
> 	  and then shortly thereafter, everything blew up.  :) (big surprise)
>
> So does anyone have any suggestions?  If possible, I'd rather just boot
> with an NFS-mounted root partition.  I haven't quite figured out how to do
> that, though...

I had forgotten about that.  I happen to have a DUX partition on my Miata
which I accidentally spammed with my FreeBSD boot blocks (doesn't look
like I'll ever boot DUX again...) and I had something similar happen.  If
I get a chance, I'll try and fix it this weekend.  The filesystem is
perfectly usable from the the real UFS, its just the flaky ufs reader in
boot1 which can't cope with it.

If you want to get moving before that, I suggest that you pick up a NetBSD
boot floppy (which has an MFS root) and use that to newfs and copy the
FreeBSD root.

--
Doug Rabson				Mail:  dfr@nlsystems.com
					Fax:   +44 181 381 1039