Date:      Mon, 26 Aug 1996 10:51:03 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        karl@mcs.net (Karl Denninger)
Cc:        jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com, karl@mcs.net, julian@whistle.com, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: UID < 65535?

> > > Yuck.  That means there really is a hard 16-bit limit if you use NFS to
> > > store anything?
> >
> > Last time I checked.  Aren't there also limits in Yellow Pages^H^H^H^H^H^H
> > I mean NIS??
> >
> > > Has this been addressed at all?
> >
> > I don't think NFSv3 allows anything else (could be wrong).
> >
> > Once again we all learn that NFS stands for Network Fish Scraps, which
> > describes the odor of NFS pretty well.  :-)
> >
> > ... JG
>
> Agreed.  Now Show me an available means of accomplishing the same goal
> without it.
>
> Since I've yet to see one, the rules are that we need to adapt the code to
> fit reality, not whine and bitch about how awful it is.

Maybe it's time to try something else... NFS seems to have so many problems.
"Adapting the code to fit reality" may not be a trivial exercise - unless
you don't mind breaking compatibility with everyone else in the world (maybe
you don't mind doing that as a local site hack)..

I didn't say I had a handy substitute, by the way.

I have a friend who would push RFS :-)  but I don't think so.

... JG