Date:      Thu, 11 Apr 1996 13:54:45 -0700
From:      Tony Jones <tony@ermintrude.sunquest.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: libc.so.3.0

In article <199604111024.MAA14259@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de> you wrote:
: >
: > Several packages from the FreeBSD site won't run saying that they
: > can't find libc.so.3.0
: >     I can't find this file on the net anywhere.  Does anyone know
: > where I can get it?

: As a workaround you can

: ln -s /lib/libc.so.2.2 /usr/lib/libc.so.3.0
:                      or 1

When I generate an a.out using -Bdynamic, the ld man page is pretty clear that
the highest version (on my system) of each referenced shared library is
recorded in the executable.

What does this require of the subsequent executor ?

If the version of library foo I recorded was 2.2, does that require the
executor to have 2.2 exactly, or will any version >= 2.2 surfice ?

BTW: [Are there any detailed docs on the shared library implementation ?]

tony