Date:      Tue, 03 Dec 2002 18:09:34 +0000
From:      "manish jain" <emmjanex@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Problems with i810 + FreeBSD4.6 + Gnome

03 Dec, 02

Hi everyone,

I am running FreeBSD 4.6 with Celeron800 & Intel810 chipset and am facing
problems with my X-server.

Before I detail the problem, I'll make a brief note of options I have
enabled/disabled in my system configuration :

1) agp_load has been enabled in /boot/loader.conf (Before enabling
agp_load, I created agpgart in /dev through MAKEDEV)
2) Option NoDDC has been enabled in the XFree86 configuration file

Now the problems. When I start gnome (as root), I get the message :

'Could not find the address for . This may prevent gnome from operating
correctly. It may be possible to correct the error by adding to /etc/hosts'

No address is specified in the first line - just a dot, nor is it specified
what should be added to /etc/hosts. I must mention though that, despite the
initial error message, X does start up and works pretty much okay - till I
try and run Nautilus. This results in the following message :

'Nautilus encountered an unexpacted factory error from OAF.
Try killing oafd and restarting Nautilus'

Nautilus exits after displaying the message. As one might expect, the
message is repeated upon killing oafd and restarting Nautilus.

Can anyone please suggest some remedy ?

By the way, are cable modems true hardware modems ? I ask this because my
winmodem does not work under BSD and I am thinking of purchasing a cable
modem if that can connect my FreeBSD system to the internet.

Thanks.

Manish Jain

emax@datainfosys.net