Date:      Wed, 14 Feb 2001 18:29:08 +0100 (CET)
From:      Ludo Koren <lk@tempest.sk>
To:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   getting noise from GUS

Hello.

I have FreeBSD 4.2-STABLE system and compiled the kernel with
following options:

device          snd
device          gus0 at isa? port 0x220 irq 5 drq 1

here is the dmesg output:

Checking for GUS Plug-n-Play ...
No Plug-n-Play devices were found
gus0 at port 0x220 irq 5 drq 1 on isa0
snd0: <Gravis 2.4 (1024k)>
gus0: driver is using old-style compatability shims

and cat /dev/sndstat:
VoxWare Sound Driver:3.5-alpha15-970902 (Wed Aug  6 22:58:35 PDT 1997 Amancio Hasty@rah.star-gate.com)
Config options:

Installed drivers:
Type 4: Gravis Ultrasound

Card config:
Gravis Ultrasound at 0x220 irq 5 drq 1

Audio devices:
0: Gravis UltraSound

Synth devices:
0: Gravis 2.4 (1024k)

Midi devices:
0: Gravis UltraSound Midi

Timers:
0: System clock
1: GUS

Mixers:
0: Gravis Ultrasound

If I try to redirect an au file to /dev/audio I can hear only
noise. The same, If I am using play command.

Is there any configuration problem? Am I doing something wrong?
Any suggestion are welcomed.

Thank you very much in advance.

ludo

PS: I have browsed `4.2R pcm/sbc AWE records noise' messages of
multimedia list but I did not find answer.

PS2: please CC: to me I am not subscribed to the list.