Date:      Sun, 20 Feb 2005 15:04:43 -0500
From:      Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        Jose M Rodriguez <josemi@freebsd.jazztel.es>
Cc:        re@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: use of firefox as 5.4 default web browser

--=-du+vvviFk+R/3i8lMU5M

On Sun, 2005-02-20 at 20:48 +0100, Jose M Rodriguez wrote:
> El Domingo, 20 de Febrero de 2005 18:51, Joe Marcus Clarke escribi=F3:
> > On Sun, 2005-02-20 at 10:41 +0100, Jose M Rodriguez wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I'm very glad of firefox use over FreeBSD, and think that, after
> > > firefox-1.0.1 and merge of urihelper patches from mozilla, is a
> > > good candidate for a 'FreeBSD default graphics web browser'.
> > >
> > > So, I open this trying to get epiphany moved from gnome2-lite to
> > > gnome2, and firefox, al last, in FreeBSD-5.4 disc1.  I'll be also
> > > glad to get some note on release notes about that.
> >
> > Firefox will never be made part of the GNOME desktop unless Epiphany
> > starts to use Firefox as its default Gecko browser (or GNOME chooses
> > to make Firefox its default browser).
> >
>=20
> I'm not talking about make firefox part of gnome desktop.  I think that=20
> the web browser of a gnome desktop must be epiphany, as konqueror must=20
> do the same role for kde.
>=20
> I only talking about features/size advantage of firefox againts the=20
> mozilla+epiphany duo now in disc1

There may be advantages of Firefox over Epiphany.  Certainly, I think
Firefox is the more popular browser.  However, we try to to follow the
GNOME Desktop guidelines as set by gnome.org.  If we had the space,
gnome2-lite wouldn't exist at all, and we would put the full GNOME
Desktop on disc 1.

>=20
> I see most of our gnome/kde user do network installs.

Most, but not all.  We have to accommodate those in areas where CD
installs are all they have.  I know of some FreeBSD users in India that
don't have the luxury of broadband at home.

>=20
> Also, we may include firefox for amd64.  We aren't doing the same for=20
> epipahny.

Sure we are.  We include epiphany for amd64 provided OSVERSION > 500035.
This should be all users or supported versions of FreeBSD for amd64.

>=20
> If mozilla+epiphany+firefox will fit on disc1, great.  But if not, my=20
> chance is for firefox.

That's not the way it works.  The gnome2-lite meta-port decides what
GNOME components are on disc 1.  It is just a bare-bones list of GNOME
desktop components.  Nothing gets added to it unless it is deemed vital,
_and_ it is part of the official GNOME desktop.

If Firefox is added to disc 1, it will be in addition to Epiphany and
Mozilla.

Joe

--=20

--=-du+vvviFk+R/3i8lMU5M