Date:      Mon, 14 Oct 1996 03:55:56 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Deflorator <genie@chipsworld.bridge.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        bugs@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD 2.1.5 will *not* install from VFAT

Hello. I downloaded the boot.flp image and rawrite-ed it to a clean, just
formatted 1.44 floppy, as you suggest in your manuals. Then I created
C:\FreeBSD and C:\FreeBSD\BIN, and downloaded the BIN directory from
ftp.freebsd.org. I have a 2.5 gig primary drive, and a 405M secondary
drive. Both drives are Western Digital Caviar. Both of them have had Linux
installed on there, and every other os there is...The 2.5 gig is the
master, and the 405M is the slave drive. The machine is a 486dx2/66, with
a VLB, 32 M ram, and has a ESDI/IDE controller.

When I booted FreeBSD using the rawritten floppy, it recognized every
component on my machine, without a problem. I selected the second HD(405M)
for installing FreeBSD, and used the A option to partition it(label it)
from the setup program, after creating a native FreeBSD partition on it.
It all went very well so far, up to and including the creation of the fs
on the drive, until it was time to extract the packages from my
Win95(Dos/vfat/whatever...)  partition. The 2.5 gig is split into 2
partitions, 1.25 G each, and the C:  drive is Win95/VFAT. When it tried to
extract the BIN(minimal distribution) dir, it hung right after the 139th
kbyte, and it showed a message: Write failure on transfer( wrote -1 bytes
of 1024 bytes ). and in vty2 it showed an invalid header error for
/stand/cpio.

This upset me very much, as I actually downloaded the entire distribution
twice that night(bin dir) thinking something is wrong with the downloaded
files, but when I tried second time around to install it, the same thing
happened.

What am I doing wrong, or what is FreeBSD doing wrong? Your quick response
will be utterly appreciated. I really like BSD, and am looking forward to
install it, but can not...

very frustrated,
Martin Naskovski