Date:              Wed, 02 Jun 99 15:13:19 EDT
From:      Marius <MBKING0@VM.SC.EDU>
To:        sce04020@mail.wvnet.edu
Cc:        freeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:        modems and ppp

>How many of the files in the /etc/ppp directory have to be edited to set
>up ppp. How do you edit the files, make a copy and leave off the sample
>at the end file and edit the copy? Example: copy  ppp.conf.sample to
>ppp.conf and edit ppp.conf to my specs, leaving the original in tack.

Hmm...

   Just in case you were actually asking what commands to use, simply type the
following:

cp ppp.conf.sample ppp.conf
vi ppp.conf

   The "cp" command copys the file, while leaving the original intact.  The
"vi" command opens the new file in the editor called vi.  (Sure you could use
emacs, or whatever your favorite is, but I -like- vi.)  Then you simply edit
the file to your choosing.
   Personally though, you would have to do a great deal of deleting if you used
the ppp.conf.sample file.  Frankly -I- just cut and pasted from the handbook
webpage.  One big block of text copyied, the line numbers taken out, and the
spacing fixed from any pasting errors...and I was ready to surf.  I didn't
need to edit anything but ppp.conf since I am running a recent version of
userland ppp.