Date:      Tue, 21 Apr 1998 14:15:09 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Ugo Paternostro <paterno@dsi.UNIFI.IT>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DNS Cache+MX+SendMail = Host not found...

On 20-Apr-98 Doug White wrote about "Re: DNS Cache+MX+SendMail = Host not
found...":
>> mail hub. All the other machines on the network (3, btw, so not so big
>> network...) are configured to send mail to the first one, using sendmail's
>> nullclient config.
>
> I thought you were supposed to use the SmartHost feature for that?

I think you may. But I prefer this way, so that I control all mail parameter
(e.g. masquerading, canonify and so on) from my mail hub, while all the other
hosts are dumb ones.

>> Everything works flawlessly, but one case: suppose that the DNS
>> maintains in its cache a record to somewhere.some.domain, with an MX
>> record pointing to anotherplace.some.domain, but that it has no memory
>> of what anotherplace.some.domain is, and you send a mail to
>> foo@somewhere.some.domain.
>
> That isn't the client's problem -- your smart mail host should determine

Yes, I know. I'm sorry that I didn't point out this clearly.

> this.  I don't think that MX records cause address rewriting tho.

Well, it seems to do that: the mail bounces back to me with a "host not found"
error referring to anotherplace.some.domain (the MX record). What seems strange
to me is that sendmail will queue a mail if it cannot resolve its address, but
it will complain loudly if it cannot resolve its MX... should'n it simply queue
the mail with a "deferred: Name server: anotherplace.some.domain: host name
lookup failure" type of error? Is there some configuration option to do that?

Please note that I'm tampering with the sendmail .mc file here: I started from
/usr/src/usr.sbin/sendmail/cf/cf/freebsd.mc and modified it to suit my need
(added a few mailers, mailer & virtuser tables, cw file, GECOS matching and
full masquerading, the latter thanks to freebsd that otherwise would reject my
mails), but I can't see anything related to queue/direct send.

Thanks for your time: I see you have a lot of work here in questions ;-)

Bye, UP