Date:      2 Jun 1999 20:15:47 +0200
From:      naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de (Christian Weisgerber)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sound card?

Nathan Ahlstrom <nrahlstr@winternet.com> wrote:

> The Soundblast PCI 128 works for me.  See sys/pci/es1370.c
> I don't use it too often though.

I got a cheap "Soundblaster PCI 64V", which is an ES1370 card.

Now, how do I use it? From sys/pci/es1370.c it isn't clear to me what
device I need to add to the kernel configuration.
/sys/i386/isa/snd/CARDS suggests that it might be handled by Luigi's pcm
driver, so I added according to pcm(4):

device          pcm0    at isa ? port? irq 7 drq 1

The "at isa" part seems a bit strange for a PCI device, but there are no
appropriate examples, and vga0 needs to be "at isa" too for PCI cards.
When booting, the kernel now prints

es0: <AudioPCI ES1370> irq 15 at device 9.0 on pci0
pcm0: using I/O space register mapping at 0xe400

which looks promising. I have added the audio devices (MAKEDEV snd0),
but cat'ing some junk to /dev/audio only results in

no pcm units configured\^H

Is there something wrong with the configuration, or did the driver break
during the recent newbus changes? (I'm running 4.0-CURRENT from last
weekend.)

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                  naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de
    100+ SF Book Reviews: <URL:http://home.pages.de/~naddy/reviews/>;