Date:      Wed, 10 Nov 1999 18:08:50 +1100
From:      "Hugh Blandford" <hugh@island.net.au>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   NAT on two interfaces of the same machine?

Hi all,

I have a situation where I have a web server running on a 192.168 address
behind a freebsd box which is redirecting a real address to it.  (The real
address is aliased incase it matters).

This works fine.  However, I am on the inside (192.168) of the freebsd box
and it is my default gateway.  When I try and view any of the websites it
doesn't work, as, I assume, the IP address resolves to the internal
interface of the gateway and it never gets translated and redirected.  I
could have a set of special DNS records for each of the websites but that
isn't going to scale very well.

Is there a way to redirect the packets to the internal address and have the
conversation work.  Even if all the packets have to go to the gateway box
this wouldn't be too bad as the traffic will be very light.

Thanks for your help.

Hugh Blandford