Date:      Tue, 13 May 2003 14:27:38 -0400
From:      Michael Edenfield <kutulu@kutulu.org>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   vm_page_max_wired and gpg...

--T4sUOijqQbZv57TR

For some time now, gpg has been having issues on my -CURRENT system=20
with being unable to mlock() the ~8k buffer it uses to hold the=20
decrypted secret key.  A ktrace shows that it's being returned an=20
EAGAIN from mlock(), which my peeking around has shown could be:

1) I hit the RLIMIT_MLOCK limit on memory locking, or
2) I hit the system-wide "wired pages" limit.

There are no memlock resource limits, so I figure it must be #2.  I=20
have managed to figure out that the limit in question is held in=20
"vm_page_max_wired" in vm_pageout.c, but I can't find any way to=20
display this number at runtime. =20

I have (I think) plenty of RAM on this machine, certainly enough for=20
gpg to lock 8k of it for a few seconds, so I dunno why I'd be hitting=20
any system-wide limit. =20

Any advice on where to look further?

--Mike

--T4sUOijqQbZv57TR