Date:      Mon, 22 Jun 1998 19:24:18 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Simon Shapiro <shimon@simon-shapiro.org>
To:        Tom <tom@sdf.com>
Cc:        freebsd-SCSI@FreeBSD.ORG, Chris Parry <laotzu@juniper.net>, alex@nac.net
Subject:   RE: DPT support binaries - How to Setup

On 22-Jun-98 Tom wrote:

> On Sun, 21 Jun 1998 alex@nac.net wrote:
>
>> Search the archives; there are about 10 instances of this in the past 2
>> months.
>
>   I've been on freebsd-scsi list a long time.  The only instance was your
> system as I recall.
>
>> It is when the array is in degraded mode, and you try to boot.
>
>   No.  Done that here several times.
>
>   However, you can't boot if the array is dead (RAID5 with two failed
> drives) but that goes without saying.  I've seen an interesting scenario
> where a rebuild caused a marginal drive to fail, so you always want to
> try
> at least two simulated failures before bringing a new server online.

About 2 out of 5 builds failed with firmware 7M0.  The same hardware later
revealed a bad disk shelf (one of the busses alarms continually).  We moved
the disks to another bay (SE rather than Differential) and controller, and
the failure re-occured.  This time changing a damaged cable cured it.

I think you are right about the build process exposing weaknesses in the
drives.  I also think there is some sensitivity in the firmware.
I have traced and verified the driver and am of the opinion that it is not
FreeBSD (or driver) related.  To change my mind, provide me with a core
dump, and/or a trace that shows the nature of the crash.  Otherwise, I'll
quote my bootcamp seargant;  ``talk is cheap''.