Date:      Fri, 3 Aug 2001 12:48:20 -0300 (BRST)
From:      Rik van Riel <riel@conectiva.com.br>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>, Kenneth Wayne Culver <culverk@wam.umd.edu>, John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>, <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org>, craig <craiglei@pasia.com.cn>
Subject:   Re: How to visit physical memory above 4G?

On Thu, 2 Aug 2001, Terry Lambert wrote:

> Correct me if I'm wrong, and 64 bit PCI cards can in fact
> DMA at offsets above 4G, in the physical address space...

They can.  And for 32 bit PCI cards you simply use
bounce buffers in the same way you handle ISA bounce
buffers.

It's ugly, but if you have a huge dataset it's better
than getting the data from disk.

Rik

http://www.surriel.com/		http://distro.conectiva.com/

Send all your spam to aardvark@nl.linux.org (spam digging piggy)