Date:      Sun, 24 Aug 1997 12:30:55 +0930
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Broken resolver/named

> I have a bit of a problem - that I can only put down to being the
> fault of either the resolver library or named.

Neither.

> My /etc/resolv.conf says (in 2.2.2 & -current):
>
> domain lan.awfulhak.org

Have you read the resolver documentation on what this means?

> If I try to resolve an unqualified name that doesn't exist (such as
> ``x''), the resolver sends two DNS queries (because the first fails).
> The first query is for ``x.lan.awfulhak.org'', and when that fails,
> it sends a query for ``x''.  The resolver then says "Dunno who ``x''
> is, I'll ask someone else.....".
>
> This is a bit of a dumb thing to do (I'm on a dial-up to real life).....

It is, however, the _correct_ thing to do.  If you don't want to dial
to resolve names, use the dfilter stuff in user-mode ppp (do I need to
tell *you* this?)

> There is a compile-time option for named called "LOCALDOM" that
> allows you to say "domain lan.awfulhak.org" in named.boot, and have
> the second query answered with "dunno" immediately, but according to
> named, only broken resolvers send unqualified names to the DNS.

I don't understand how this would be useful.  If you say "x", and "x"
is not a local name, you _must_ consult someone else to determine if
it's a valid name at all.  How else are you supposed to know one way or
the other?

If you never want to consult an outside nameserver, disable your
forwarders; this is pretty dumb though.

> IMHO, the resolver shouldn't be sending the second query.  Should I
> look at fixing the resolver ?

There's nothing there needs fixing, AFAICT.

mike