Date:      Tue, 12 Dec 2000 15:28:08 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
Cc:        Cliff Sarginson <cliff@raggedclown.net>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: It's that time of year. GIF files.

On Tue, Dec 12, 2000 at 02:27:10AM -0800, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
> * Cliff Sarginson <cliff@raggedclown.net> [001212 02:13] wrote:
> >
> > Ok, i told him to say no to heroin etc.
> > I will add GIF's to the list..
> > What else is good for animations ?
>
> I'm not sure how old your kid is, but if you want to dazzle him
> you might want to try installing a programming langugage that makes
> it easy to make graphics, something like tcl/tk or some perl
> interface to graphics like perl-tk.
>
> Trust me, when I was 8 this was amazing stuff. :)  I don't know
> how much of a programmer you are if at all, but tcl/perl is not
> that difficult to learn and you'll both have a good time.
>
> Just find an editor that's easy to use, I think vi and especially
> emacs could lead a small child to tears.  Try 'edit' or look
> around in the ports tree for something easy to use.

Very nice idea, Alfred :-)

Now about that editor thing.  I am definitely not trying to start another
editor war here, but...

I have only recently discovered that Motif is open-sourced now, and the
/usr/ports/x11-toolkits/open-motif port allows one to build NEdit [a very
easy and intuitive to use editor for X11].

NEdit is a very nice editor to use under X11, and it can sure help alot
when one decides to learn how to program Perl and not how to program vi(1).

Just my two cents, about easy to use editors.

- giorgos