Date:      Fri, 14 Sep 2001 16:49:49 -0400
From:      Jonathan Lyster <jslyster@operamail.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Obsolete MINI kernel on handbook?

>I cvsup docs for some time and today I tested the script: "Example 12-5. A
>Script for Creating a Bootable Floppy" (/handbook/backup-programs.html) and I
>noted that `make buildkernel KERNCONF=MINI` or the old way `config; make
>depend; make` can't compile the mini kernel because it is obsolete.
>
>My opinion is that the handbook should be updated as much as possible, but if
>anyone helps me finding a way of compiling this mini kernel then I'll be
>very happy.

I'm a relative newbie to the world of FreeBSD, so take my remarks in that context.

I couldn't get the MINI kernel to compile either, so I gave up on it and tried a custom kernel of my own,
stripped to the bare minimum.
The smallest I could get is about 1.1meg, which, while small enough for a floppy, doesn't leave room for
the additional files needed for
a proper recovery diskette (which was my whole purpose for the exercise). I don't know enough about
kernel compilation to strip it
down further than that, alas. I can post my kernel source here if that's of any use to you...

Look for "The Opera 5.x Book," available now from No Starch Press. http://www.nostarch.com

"All of us are born right-handed; only the gifted overcome it."