Date:      Fri, 23 Aug 2002 07:24:36 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Martin Blapp <mb@imp.ch>
Cc:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>, Don Lewis <dl-freebsd@catspoiler.org>, sos@freebsd.dk, marks@ripe.net, ktsin@acm.org, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Memory corruption in CURRENT

Martin Blapp wrote:
> > Julian just wants a full set of tests.
>
> Ok, I'll build another row.
>
> > Julian: DISABLE_PG_G alone *might* fix a particular symptom on
> > a particular persons' machine, but that would not be definitive,
> > only anecdotal.
>
> Do you think this is a software or a hardware bug ? Are PIV's buggy ;-) ?

I believe it's a general Pentium-class and above hardware bug,
which is currently most easily repeatable on Pentium 4's and AMD
Athlons.

In the limit, though, hardware people will tell you that failure
to workaround hardware bugs *is* a software bug (hardware guys do
not understand "recursion" or "completeness" very well, I think
8-) 8-)).

FWIW: I think your machine will crash just the same without the
DISABLE_PSE but with the DISABLE_PG_G.

-- Terry