Date:      Sun, 20 Feb 2000 14:16:20 -0700 (MST)
From:      VINSON WAYNE HOWARD <Wayne.Vinson@Colorado.EDU>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   CS4236b sound

I have a dell Inspiron 3200 266XT laptop with a crystal cs4236b audio chip
on motherboard.  Despite 10's of hours of effort, I have been unable to
get a reasonable audio setup.  At this point I'm fishing for hints, and
I've included a (long) history of that I've tried below.  Sorry for such a
massive brain dump... but I've tried so much stuff that I'm not sure
what's relavent.  Please help...  oh, and I'm not on the mailing list, so
please cc me in your response...

Bios Config:
no pnp
wss @ 0x530
Irq 9
Drq0 1
Drq1 3

Output of pnpinfo:

Checking for Plug-n-Play devices...
No Plug-n-Play devices were found

first attempt at kernel config:

controller pnp0
device pcm0 at isa? port 0x530  tty irq 9 drq 1 flags 0x0

result: pcm0 not found at 0x530

Second attempt at kernel config:

controler pnp0
device pcm0 at isa? port? tty irq 9 drq 1 flags 0x0

result: pcm0 shows up as a SBPro V3.2, provides 8-bit audio

Third attempt:

Same as first, with the folowing entered via boot -c:

pnp 1 0 os enable port0 0x534 port2 0x220 irq0 9 drq0 1 drq1 3

result: same as first time

(also tried pnp 1 0 os enable port0 0x530 port2 0x220 irq0 9 drq0 1 drq1)
                                      ---
fourth attempt:

controller snd0
device css0 at isa? port 0x530 tty irq 9 drq 1 flags 0x13 conflicts
device mpu0 at isa? conflicts

result: seemingly working 16bit audio (see below)

Now I moved on to audio apps (specifically an mp3 player)

all mpg123 based players (xmms, gqmpeg, mpg123 itself etc...) exhibited
the strange effect that after playing for about five minutes, the sound
degenreated into a strange buzzing sound for about a minute.  The player
then slowly recovered.  I don't have any streams long enought to tell if
it was cyclical or a one-time thing.  I tried package, ports, self
compiled versions, every version in the mpg123 archive, etc. with the same
result every time.  When I compiled it I tried no optimization through -O6
with same results.  I tried the --agressive option (and nice --20 on older
versions of mpeg123 without that option).  This delayed the noise to about
minute 6, but didn't fix the problem.  I also tried a precompiled linux
binary I found.  In short, they all produced this funny (and very LOUD)
noise.

Cocnlusion: driver problem?

Note:  I was never able to get "make freebsd" to work with mpg123 and had
to use "make generic"  no clue if it's relevent.

Ok, I figured, possibly an esd audio app?

xmms esd mode produced strange static every 10 seconds.
mpg123 would not "make freebsd-esd" - unresolved symbols as I recall

Ok, no mpg123 based stuff - on to other players.

Amp works in textmode, no funny noises.  The only gui I found was the kmp3
package, which had poor playlist support (a HUGE negative for the
presentations I'm doing)  and couldn't handle the header style of new
encoders.  Hence about half of my stuff was unplayable.

Tried splay bassed stuff.  perfect in text mode.  Splaytk was too ugly to
contemplate, but worked.  kmpeg stuttered quite badly when playing.
Aparently this is a known bug in kmpeg.

tried xaudio.  Fine in text mode, gui version skipped evertime a window
moved or load increased (which has always been my experience with xaudio
for any platform)

At this point I'm fresh out of players, and I figure better drivers are
likely the solution.

Any hints on how to get the pcm driver to work or how to get a decent
player/gui combo with playlist support or how to make mpg123 not
stutter would be greatly apreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Wayne