Date:      Thu, 10 Dec 1998 09:31:48 +0100
From:      Andreas Braukmann <braukmann@tse-online.de>
To:        FreeBSD-Hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mousen

Hi
On Wed, Dec 09, 1998 at 07:57:06PM -0600, Chris Dillon wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Dec 1998, Parag Patel wrote:
> > Today I just purchase a brand new Logitech Marble Mouse for $40.  They
> > make three series of Marble-based trackballs, and despite the name,
> > this is the cheapest.  Plugged it in to the PS/2 port, and it works
> > beautifully.
Several years ago I purchased one of the first imported (I'm located in
Germany) 'mousetrak' trackballs (http://www.mousetrak.com ).
After some real stressfull weeks doing chip design (point and click, point
and click, point and type, point and click, ...) on Sun workstations,
my arm ached from wrist to elbow at every move.
Since then I've never touched a mouse again.

The itac products are more than rock solid. My first 'mousetrak professional'
is still in action and shows its age in no way.
It was and is expensive, though. (I purchased the first for somewhat like
$240, ugghh.)

Currently I own the historic 'mousetrak professional' (originally a
PC-serial version; now patched to hang off my Sparcstation LX),
one 'personal mousetrak' for my win-machine and one 'evolution mousetrak'
on my main development -current machine.

The 'personal mousetrak' seems more or less identical to the 'professional'
from functional point of view; the bearings, the ball, and the microswitches
are equivalent. The case is definitely less solid, but its defnitely cheaper,
too. :) (around $90, retail prices should be lower, ...)

> Yup.  I have a Marble FX.  The box for this thing had "Windows" all over
> it and I was afraid it wouldn't work with FreeBSD, having 4 buttons and
> all.  Turns out it was detected AND XFree86 sees all the buttons.  :-)
seems, that I should have a 'look and feel' on it sometime.

> psm0 at 0x60-0x64 irq 12 on motherboard
> psm0: model MouseMan+, device ID 0
the 'evolution':
psm0 at 0x60-0x64 irq 12 on motherboard
psm0: model Generic PS/2 mouse, device ID 0

The 'evolution' has six programmable keys; three left and three right
from the ball. The cases' design is symmetric; for lefties it is sufficient
to re-program the keys.
'key'-programming is done by directly using the keys ... no driver or
other software involved.

I use a key-setup (if I'm remembering right, it's the default setup) with
 - key-2: 'left-click' by thumb
 - key-3: 'double-left-click' by thumb
 - key-6: 'right-click' by the little finger
 - key-5: 'middle-click' by ring finger
 - key-4: 'click-and-drag' by middle finger
 - key-1: by thumb,
          switches between linear and ballistic accelerated tracking

> > The Marble+ design positions the marble to be used by the thumb, which
using the thumb for marble-moving is ergonomically wrong.

> > I don't care for.  The Marble FX design positions the ball to be used
> > between the thumb and finger, and has 4 buttons on it.  The one I got
                      ^^^^^^^^^ slightly better

> > is the cheapest, has 2 buttons, and a mid-sized marble right in the
> > center for use primarily by fingers.  It's closest to the Stingray and

> > I've tried trackpads but prefer the kinetic feedback from a physically
.... I really hate trackpads; no feedback, much to small, etc. etc.

-Andreas

--
/// TSE TeleService GmbH  |  Gsf: Arne Reuter        |
/// Hovestrasse 14        |       Andreas Braukmann  | We do it with