Date:      Mon, 11 Mar 2002 17:08:41 -0500
From:      Jesse Sheidlower <jester@panix.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   APM configuration issues

I recently installed FreeBSD on an IBM ThinkPad X23. The kernel was
the GENERIC shipped with 4.5-RELEASE.

APM works. That is, I can shut the cover, and it goes to sleep (and
the "sleep" light on the case flashes); I can open the cover, and it
comes back to life.

When trying to see how much battery life I had left, I typed "apm"
and got "apm: can't open /dev/apm: Device not configured".

Any advice? I'm not very knowledgable about FreeBSD or Unix in
general, and rely heavily on advice from others. All I want to do
is keep track of my battery--I really do need to use this computer
on the road. I've looked through some mailing lists and most of the
problems with apm device-not-configured errors seem to pertain to
cases where apm isn't installed.

Thanks very much.

Jesse Sheidlower
<jester@panix.com>