Date:      Wed, 27 Mar 96 19:49:38 PST
From:      "Brett Glass" <Brett_Glass@ccgate.infoworld.com>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org, jkh@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Cannot boot after install

After tweaking the translation settings on the controller, I was able to
boot but still did not have a stable system. I was experiencing coredumps
while running certain apps (e.g. mail), indicating that something was still
wrong.

Here's another clue to what might be going on. I partitioned the drive as
"all FreeBSD" without a standard partition table, hoping that this would
bypass problems with trying to stick to the MS-DOS standard. Using the
"Novice" installation mode, step by step, I sliced up the disk into areas
for root, swap, /var, /usr, and /home. I then turned on debugging messages
and watched the second virtual TTY during installation. During newfs, error
messages appeared as each file system was created, saying that the number
of sectors per cylinder (4096) diagreed with that in the disk label (4032).

The Ultrastor is a translating controller, and I had entered the geometry
969/64/63 in fdisk. The product of the last two numbers is (of course)
4032 -- the number of sectors per cylinder after translation. Why does the
software think there are more?  Does this message relate to the
problem?

If the message indicates an error in newfs, it might account for the disk
errors and application coredumps I'm getting after installation.

Authors: What do you think? Is this a bug? If so, is there a way to work
around it (perhaps by specifying parameters to newfs)?

--Brett Glass