Date:      Fri, 23 May 1997 14:16:51 +1000
From:      Robert <robert@chalmers.com.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Permission problem trying to run Shem & Postgres

Hi,
   compiled the postgres,V6 fine, and everything appears to be ok,
however, on trying to run it. Start up the postgres server, I run
into permission problems,

If I run as user "postgres", it wont start because "postgres" doesn't
have permissions.
The log file tells all. The FAQ for Postgres isn't a lot of help. It's
a FreeBSD permissionss thing.
------------------
IpcMemoryCreate: memKey=155356405 , size=24588 , permission=448
IpcMemoryCreate: shmget(..., create, ...) failed: Permission denied
This type of error is usually caused by improper
shared memory or System V IPC semaphore configuration.
See the FAQ for more detailed information
IpcMemoryAttach: shmat() failed: Permission denied
This type of error is usually caused by improper
shared memory or System V IPC semaphore configuration.
See the FAQ for more detailed information
------------------

If I run as user "root" ( I know, a no-no )
I get,
------------------
"root" execution of the PostgreSQL backend is not permitted
It is highly recommended that the backend be started under it's own
userid
to prevent possible system security compromise. This can be accomplished
by placing the following command in the PostgreSQL startup script.
echo "postmaster -B 256 >/var/log/pglog 2>&1 &" | su - postgres
-------------------
But, of course, having done that, it then wont start because the
permissions are wrong.

System V bits are compiled into the FBSD kernel, and ipsc shows that
the relevant bits have "root wheel" , rw only permissions set.

Can someone tell me please how to get the permissions set so that
postgres
can use the mem bits please.

thanks
Robert

--
http://www.chalmers.com.au Books-New & Secondhand  Support Whirled Peas.
Agents for CIBTC. Associate of Amazon.com, and Partner Program with iBS.