Date:      Wed, 2 Jun 1999 17:15:49 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Oliver Stockhammer <oliver@inch.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   question regarding 3.1-stable and drifting time clock.

Hello,
	I am running 3.1-stable on a Pentium 90.  I get a wicked time
drift, something like 5 minutes fast every hour.  It is not my bios clock
as that is keeping correct time (it is set to UTC).  I am running xntpd to
attempt to stop this and it is locally synching to another FBSD box which
is keeping accurate time.  I have run tzsetup and set it to UTC as well
with EDT as the timezone.
	When xntpd starts up it seems to be fine:

Jun  2 16:10:37 ary xntpd[106]: xntpd version=3.4e (beta multicast);
Mon Feb 15 10:12:13 GMT 1999 (1)
Jun  2 16:10:37 ary xntpd[106]: tickadj = 5, tick = 10000,
tvu_maxslew = 495

	But upon inspection of the time about an hour later, the clock has
drifted again 5 minutes fast and continues to drift about 5 minutes/hour.
	There is no other logging in /var/log/messages from xntpd after
starting it.
	If I restart the machine and check the bios it is correctly set to
UTC and the accurate time.  Is this a bug with 3.1-stable or am I missing
something?

Thanks,

Oliver Stockhammer
Internet Channel